Sunday 7 October 2012

Book Review: More by T.M. Franklin

Title: More (More #1)
Author: T.M. Franklin
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop
Release Date: 4th October 2012
Read In: September 2012

Goodreads - Amazon.co.uk/.com


*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for this review*
Ava Michaels used to think she was special.
As a child, she fantasized about having magical powers . . . making things happen. But Ava grew up and eventually accepted the fact that her childish dreams were just that, and maybe a normal life wasn't so bad after all.
Now a young college student, Ava meets Caleb Foster, a brilliant and mysterious man who’s supposed to help her pass Physics, but in reality has another mission in mind. What he shows Ava challenges her view of the world, shaking it to its very core.
Because Caleb isn't quite what he seems. In fact, he's not entirely human, and he's not the only one.
Together, the duo faces a threat from an ancient race bound to protect humans, but only after protecting their own secrets—secrets they fear Ava may expose. Fighting to survive, Ava soon learns she's not actually normal . . . she's not even just special.
She's a little bit more.


While I enjoyed the story there wasn’t much that was original. This genre is cluttered and I am afraid the thing that makes this one somewhat stand out from the crowd is the paranormal side the creatures we are dealing with.

“Your propose of course. Your destiny. You always said you felt different, like you were special somehow. Well, you are. More than you know.”

This book I am afraid to say was a little mediocre. It didn’t really have anything different; anything that makes it stand out from the YA paranormal scene. It had a typical YA paranormal outline: girl meets new boy; boy is mysterious; odd stuff goes on; girl finds out the truth; stuff goes on: it doesn’t sway much from there. Maybe it is just me, but I have read so many books of this nature now that I just want something different, something new. Yes there is gradual discovery that I love but I wanted more depth, more complications. It was too simple. 

Why haven’t I given this book a really bad rating you may say? Well … while it may not stand out from the crowd, it wasn’t rubbish either.

The paranormal element was what kept me reading. It was there where the originality of the story took place. However I cannot tell you much about the paranormal elements of this book as that is the main mystery. ‘What is Caleb?’ is the main question that drove the book forward in the beginning. I wouldn’t want it to be spoiled for you. It is different and my curiosity drove me through the remainder of the story.

The cover is gorgeous. Just had to throw that out there. 

I am sorry to say that this book is another member of the crowded genre that is paranormal in teen fiction and, for me; there was nothing that made it stand out from the crowd. It had good characters, good pace and a great paranormal setting. It isn’t bad but it isn’t amazing either. It was good. The 3.5 stars say it all. I know that this review is a little short and I apologise, but there is nothing more I can say than that. If you are just looking for an average read, look no further.


Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D